Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Last day in the Quad Cities for this year

We spent a great night last night with good friends Dave and Marilyn Naab. We started off with Gyro's for dinner and then a nice evening in Lincoln Park for the Rock Island concert in the park series. The night culminated with a long few hours of discussions on just about everything under the sun or stars as in this case. We always have great conversations with Dave and Marilyn, it seems we're all usually on the same page for the most part. Plenty of laughs and few problems solved but ideas abound! It was either leave when we did or get the bacon and eggs out for breakfast............... We have a dinner scheduled with nieces and nephews I think for tonight, Beverly will be finalizing the plans this morning I guess. Tonight will be our first Mexican food dinner since leaving Arizona, we did have a Mexican breakfast Sunday but it's been a welcome break from Mexican food so far for Mike................... This will be our last night in Davenport for another year, it's been another good time with family and friends and we'll miss them for another year. In saying that I can't help but feel we live in just a God awful place, Phoenix Arizona that is, because since we moved to Phoenix 29 years ago I can count on my two hands how many times friends and family from here have come visiting. Hell we owned a one acre resort with all the amenities including pool with water fall, BBQ area with wet bar, sun deck with gas fire pit, spare rooms including quest house(RV) but don't get me wrong we owned this for ourselves and family not just to lure visitors! Maybe just a touch of sour grapes on my part, I guess we just miss our families and friends while living so far from all of them. We're fortunate we can travel like this and spend the time with them and will continue to do so. By the way over and above those two handfuls would not include the yearly visits from Russ and Cheryl who have visited at least once a year ever since 1985 whether it be just up the road in Laughlin, NV or Las Vegas or our home in Phoenix........ I was going to wash more of the motor home this morning, I did about 1/3 of it the other day and the wheels and tires yesterday but feeling a bit lazy and my back is really hurting. I need to rest my back so I'm reading to do some golfing when we get to Des Moines, look our boys! All in all we had another good time here and enjoyed so many visits with my Mom and spending time with her and my brother and sister. I know she won't remember probably none of the visits or the lunches but I will, it was good seeing her. I so wish she didn't need so much care so I could have her out our way for a couple of months like she used to do in the past. I worry about her care if she was to visit us, if I could afford it I'd hire a full-time nurse/care giver to accompany her but I can't. When Nancy retires we'll have to have her and Mom out for a winter visit maybe, that would be nice. I know now she realizes something is wrong, it scares her at times not knowing what's happening to her. You can explain to her she's losing her memory but then she doesn't remember even talking about losing her memory, sad and I can understand her being scared. Even that all being said the visits were good and the time was in the moment and that was good, we're fortunate she still remembers some long term and names and faces of family and friends. I will miss her when we leave but will continue to call her weekly or close to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment