Friday, July 30, 2010

A couple of other thoughts.....

What ever happen to the "penny postcard"? I don't care if there not a penny any longer or even 5 cents or 10 cents or whatever, just what happen to them? We Bev and I left on this two plus month motor home trip one thing our grandchildren requested was that we send them post cards as we go along, many and often. There are places you can still get a nice post card, places like historical locations or small towns and communities that are proud and want to show off their beauty or historical presence to the world. But for the most part if your not at a truck stop on an interstate highway your may just be out of luck when it comes to finding a post card.

We know that if you go into most Walgreen's in the Western United States like Arizona you'll find a section of post cards and souvenirs from and about Arizona. We had really know problems west of the Missouri river finding at least one or two places with post cards, but still not the way it used to be that's for sure! If I had one I had dozens upon dozens of stores, gas stations, novelty shops, drug stores etc. tell me they no longer carry post cards...........no longer, phased them out, did not reorder, or here "I have these two or three left". In my home state of Iowa is seems the worst, half the folks didn't know what I was talking about, I'd hear....."do you mean 3x5 index cards"? "you mean cards, try the Hallmark store" which we did in two different locations and they no longer carry post cards. The truck stops usually have a few, not a real big selection but usually we can find at least a card with a pig on it or a cow or truck or rebel flag...you know the shit I'm talking about. Yep in the truck stop their might be next to the skull caps with flames on them.................whatever happen to the "jackalope"?

One thing about post cards though is that the post office does still carry a stamp for them and right now it's a 28 cent polar bear (you know the bear Al Gore says is all but extinct even though their population grew last year....what a joke!). The sad thing is we sent the first 10 to 20 post cards with first class stamps we had 45 cents or whatever, that's another thing why don't they put how much the stamp is on it's face anymore.............sticker shock? Anyway now I have two sheets of polar bear 28 cent stamps and can't fine post cards and will end up using two 28's on regular mail and getting screwed one more time.

If you remember post cards or have a collection keep it because they are becoming a rare commodity it seems to me anyway, and I hope my grandchild save what we've been sending because they just may pay for their college when the time comes. I hear 3% of children from two parents with a masters degrees don't even go to college..................holy shit!

The rain has let up and maybe our team Pokey Spokes can find this fish hatchery we're staying at, a fish hatchery outside of Manchester, Iowa. It rained like hell from the time the team left this morning until just a few minutes ago, so I iced down some warm ones so they guys will have some cold ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment