Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Longing for sunshine............

It's been 6 days in Iowa now and this dreary, gloomy weather is starting to get me down. After waking up to sunshine and blue skies for nearly 26 years I find myself missing the sun very much. You just don't want to get up and get going on days like this, the dark, gloomy weather is much the same as taking downers upon waking up. Yes I know it's getting old talking about the rain and dark dreary days here in Iowa but there has been not much more to convey.

Bev and I (with a bit of a push from Lisa) are going to be sending Jack and Dalila some post cards from out travels and after a few days now I decided to start yesterday. In order to tackle a project like this you need two or three things, stamps from the post office and that wasn't too hard and a pen full of ink.........yep got plenty of those, and then just one more thing............POST CARDS! I went to two Walgreen's, a CVS drug store, Hy-Vee, a couple of Dollar stores and ended up going out by the Interstate 80 to a place called the Machine Shed. I did find a few post cards at the Machine Shed, after all it's right on the Interstate and should get a lot of tourist traffic. The Machine Shed had I'd say 15 post cards and they where all over sized, like 5"x8" and pretty damn generic if I might add. I picked up 6 of them to last us until we hit the road again in a few days and hope our continued travels find us with better luck on the post card front. The dude at the Machine Shed (manager) told me upon my asking that those he had were it and those too are being phased out........holy shit.

I guess Davenport and the Quad Cities just isn't a tourist stop or place where too many visitors come that want to communicate with folks back home. I know for a fact you walk in any drug store, grocery store, super market, gas station, department store, dollar store in Arizona you find a section with tourist junk! Glass globes, cactus plants, cowboy trinkets, road runner statues, cowboy hats, Indian stuff and yes racks and racks of post cards.............and you don't need to drive all around looking for a post office, they all sell stamps and the cards are "Post Card Size" too!

Iowa is beautiful and GREEN, and known for corn and pigs and farms and Pheasants.........spread the word folks in picture post cards. One thing there is no shortage of around here and in all stores no matter how big or small, Hawkeye and Cubs junk, just take a walk down the street and 8 out of every 10 folks you pass will be wearing either a Hawkeye shirt of some kind or a Cubs shirt................not too much on hats here or hair, seems bald is beautiful here also ( a lack of good wholesome sunshine for the roots I guess) and all short hair, no need for combs around here!

Tomorrow will be a better day...............................

No comments:

Post a Comment