Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Things might have been different........

I was talking to a friend about "fire water" and how some folks hold their liquor better than others it seems. While in Alaska I had occasion to become friends with some of the Aleut Indians of the area I was in, they would come to the radar site I was stationed at and join in on our holiday and special occasion parties. These folks had a very low tolerance for liquor and became quite intoxicated after just a few drinks, and it was the same each time they visited. I also have had other native American friends that it seemed to be the same, a low tolerance for liquor and became drunk easier than most. Hey not all bad, it was a cheaper drunk for those with low tolerance so maybe if that's your thing it's not all that bad.

Anyway while discussing the Aleut's and other native Americans, and not to leave out anyone some of the rest of us also have the same problems with regard to alcohol. While discussing Indians and the West I thought of General Custer and how things might have been different if he say brought Sitting Bull and his tribe together for drinks before they battled. "Hey Sitting Bull, how about a drink before we undertake this battle?" or lead the attack with a few wagon loads of whisky for Sitting Bull and the boys to take part in. I do believe if the General had been thinking he might have saved a lot of soldiers lives and made it easier to win the battle had he handed out bottles of "fire water" to the Indians before he yelled charge! I can't remember ever seeing any of my native American friends not wanting to join the troops in a drink or two to celebrate the occasion.

I'm just saying, it might have turned out a bit different..............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment